Friday, July 5, 2013

Red Country Hills, Willamette Valley, Oregon - Abstract Landscape - Janet Bludau Fine Art


16" x 20"
Oil on Canvas
Framed in a simple, contemporary floater frame or unframed

Red Country Hills is a painting that developed over time - very typical of the way I like to paint.  First, I painted my canvas solid red.  I then lightly sketched a rough drawing, placing the larger areas where I wanted them and deciding on the scale for the barn and trees.  My image was a photo I had taken in the countryside just outside of Eugene, Oregon where my daughter was finishing up college.  This beautiful scene is located in the wine country of Willamette Valley.
Next, color was started, being careful to save bits of my red undercoat.  It is a push and pull process, sometimes scraping back a color that I am disappointed with and trying other options.  My favorite "part" of the painting is the light turquoise layer that runs under the trees and barn structures.  This was applied using the side of a palette knife and dragging the paint over and down the earlier layers.


No comments:

Post a Comment